« October 2014 |
| December 2014 »
November 2014 Archives
- Stranger Horizons, November 2014, by
- Time for the penultimate round-up of SH contributor news this year: Some new books you may wish to investigate: Ken Liu has translated The Three Body-Problem by Cixin Liu; see reviews in the WSJ and NY Yimes, and this episode...
- Fiction Updates, by
- Two quick updates from the fiction department: 1) Following the success of the fund drive, we've increased our maximum wordcount for fiction submissions to 10,000 words! 2) As usual, the fiction department will be closing to submission in December --...
- And the total is..., by
- $15,507.64 That's a really nice number to wake up to! It means we reached our stretch goal and then some, so we'll be bringing you some longer stories next year. A huge round of thank-yous to everyone who donated, everyone...
- $13,500!, by
- We -- or rather, you -- have done it! We've reached $13,500, which was our primary goal, so 2015 will see another full year of Strange Horizons stories, poems, reviews, articles, artwork and podcasts. Thank you! Oh yes, and we've...
- $12,000!, by
- This week has been amazing -- thank you to everyone who's donated. I thought it would slow down over the weekend, but nope: we've reached $12,000, and thus published our penultimate piece of bonus content, a new column by John...
- 2014 recap: October fiction, by
- And last but not least -- October, the month just gone. Art © 2014 by Mervin Malonzo "Santos de Sampaguitas" by Alyssa Wong (part two; podcast one, podcast two) "Dream Cakes" by Kelly Jennings (podcast) Fund drive bonus story: "Because...
- Bonus Prize Draw: Signed Twelve Tomorrows!, by
- Another day over, another bonus draw concluded (although I won't get a chance to actually determine the winners until tomorrow -- I have tennis tickets today which mean a very early start and not much internet). But wait! There's more!...
- $10,500!, by
- Bonus content time! We've reached our next threshold and published "Salamander Song", with words by Rose Lemberg and music by Emily Jiang: When I was born, the warlord asked my mother to wash her hands in fire, for surely if...
- Bonus Prize Draw: Kaleidoscope!, by
- Well, if you didn't donate yesterday you've missed out on the bonus draw for a copy of Irregularity ... but the good news is, we have another bonus draw today! Donate today by 23.59 PST, and you'll be entered into...
- 2014 recap: September fiction, by
- Nearing the end of our fiction recap, here's the lowdown on our September stories: Art © 2014 by Martin Pasco "Four Steps to the Perfect Smoky Eye" by Claire Humphrey (podcast) "Never the Same" by Polenth Blake (podcast) "The Great...
- Bonus Prize Draw: Irregularity!, by
- In addition to the main prize draw, everyone who donates to the fund drive today (by 23.59 PST) will be entered into an additional draw, for one of ten ebook copies of Irregularity! Irregularity is the latest anthology from Jurassic...
- $9,000!, by
- We've reached our next threshold! You can now read the first part of Ann Leckie's new Ancillary Justice story, "She Commands Me and I Obey." Enjoy! Art © 2014 by Tory Hoke Residents of Noage Itray could look up and...
- Picking up the Pace, by
- Well, you can tell it's the final week! We only just published Cassandra Khaw's review, and we're already closing in on our next piece of bonus content -- we just passed $8,500 raised, which means the first part of Ann...
- $7,500!, by
- A flurry of donations overnight (in UK terms) takes us to $7,631 and our next bonus content! Here's Cassandra Khaw's review of two novels by Charlie Human: Charlie Human's urban fantasy Apocalypse Now Now could be tentatively labeled as a...
- Fund Drive -- Final Week!, by
- The countdown is now well underway -- this year's fund drive will end in just over a week, as I write, so if you've been meaning to get around to donate (and entered into the prize draw), now is definitely...
- 2014 recap: August fiction, by
- The final week! If you haven't donated yet, there's not much time left. You can even do it before you read this round-up of our August stories. Art © 2014 by Jordan Hourie "Resurrection Points" by Usman T. Malik (podcast)...
- $6,000!, by
- We've published our next piece of fund drive bonus content! You can read Jude Roberts' long interview with Iain Banks, conducted during research for her PhD, here. The interview covers all sorts of aspects of Banks' work, including several that...
- 2014 recap: July fiction, by
- Onwards, in our 2014 recap! Here's a reminder of what we published in July. Art © 2014 by Rebecca Huston "Chopin's Eyes" by Lara Elena Donnelly (podcast) "The World Resolute" by E. Catherine Tobler (podcast) "Witch, Beast, Saint: an Erotic...
- 2014 recap: June fiction, by
- We're recapping our 2014 stories, and next up: June! Art © 2014 by Michael Ellis "Tomorrow, We'll Go Yak Herding" by Michelle Ann King (podcast) "Rib" by Yukimi Ogawa (podcast) "Storytelling for the Night Clerk" by JY Yang (podcast) On...
- 2014 recap: May fiction, by
- Two weeks left in this year's fund drive (have you donated yet?), and our fiction recap reaches May: Art © 2014 by Bo Moore "Saltwater Economics" by Jack Mierzwa (part two; podcast one and podcast two) "Sarah's Child" by Susan...